Wednesday, March 16, 2005

Vanishing Web Data?

The Annoyance:
I spend an hour filling in a lengthy form on a Web page only to be told after I submit it that it's missing an item. My fault, sure, but when I hit my browser's back button--zap!--everything's gone. Now I have to start from scratch. Aggravating? You bet.

The Fix:
Instead of growling, fix your browser's cache settings to hold on to the information. In Internet Explorer, click "Tools", "Internet Options", select the "General" tab, choose "Settings", and then check "Every time you start Internet Explorer". In Netscape, click "Edit", "Preferences", double-click "Advanced", and click "Cache". In Firefox, it's "Tools", then "Options", and finally "Privacy".(Note that Firefox has only one adjustable cache setting.) For the others: set the memory cache to at least 1024KB, and the disk cache to a minimum of 7680KB. Then clear both caches. Note that you may have to click your browser's refresh button to see a revisited page's dynamic data.

Thanks to PC World!(link)

Back to Top

No comments: